Looking for a nice & simple dog treat recipe to try? These quick & easy apple, peanut butter & oat dog treats are a favorite of mine. They’re easy to prepare and quick to bake.
Apple, Peanut Butter & Oat Dog Treats
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (aka rolled oats)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 2 apples (I used small Gala apples)
If you use chunky peanut butter rather than creamy you may need to add more moisture when making the dough. If your dough ends up extra crumbly just add 1 tsp of water at a time until you can roll it as dough out on a flat surface.
And remember to check that your peanut butter does NOT contain xylitol (an artificial sweetener that can be fatal to dogs).
- Preheat your oven to 300 F.
- Peel, core and grate 2 apples.
- Mix together the oats, flour, peanut butter, egg, & apples until well combined.
- Roll out your dough on a flat surface, until the dough is approximately 1/2 inch thick.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out your favorite shapes.
- Place the treats onto your baking sheet & cook for 15 minutes.
This recipe will make approximately 36 1″ diameter dog treats.
If you don’t have cookie cutters you can use a knife to cut out some fun shapes, or you can make some cookie cutters of your own using soda cans. I prefer using the top of a shot glass to make bite-size treats; just be careful not to push down too hard.
These dog treats will keep 2-3 days in a sealed container (due to the storage life of apples), and another 4-5 days in the fridge. I usually keep half of the treats in the fridge and freeze the rest for later.
If you want dog treats that will last longer than a couple of days at room temperature you can simply omit the apples and still end up with a yummy peanut butter flavored dog treat.
images source everydaydogmom.com