Yes, brewer’s yeast has health benefits for dogs, too. Here’s how to make some irresistible brewer’s yeast dog treats using this antioxidant-rich ingredient.
Did you know brewer’s yeast is good for dogs?
According to PetMD, “brewer’s yeast promotes healthy skin, hair, eyes and liver function” and “may reduce anxiety in dogs.”
Dr. Judith K. Herman DVM, CVH, agrees, saying, “Brewer’s yeast is a great antioxidant.”
Brewer’s yeast is sometimes given as a supplement. But you can also use it as an ingredient in homemade dog treat recipes — like this one.
Healthy Brewer’s Yeast Dog Treats
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup brewer’s yeast
- 1¼ cup flour
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, whisked
- ¾ cup water
- Heat your oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, brewer’s yeast, flour and cheese.
- Mix in the whisked egg.
- Add only as much of the water as necessary to create a rollable dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to ¼ inch.
- Cut the dough with a cookie cutter and line the cookies on a nonstick sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes for soft treats and 30 minutes for crispier treats.
I’m happy to include brewer’s yeast in my pup’s dog treat recipes.
She’s a big fan of these cheesy biscuits.